Guess whose back from Spain and better than ever??
A trip to Spain was just what I needed to fire up my motivation to kick ass this winter. Nothing like ten days of treats to get this dietitian craving veggies on veggies on veg & exercise!
I signed up for the Ted Corbitt 15k December 9thin Central Park. Anyone else running it?? Training the last week has been fun. I'm feeling pumped up and keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough fitness saved up from my Bay Ridge Half Marathon to run a speedy 15k if I focus on sprinting/track work the next few weeks. We shall see.
Its been officially a year since I broke my foot. This rocks my brain. A YEAR?! So crazy! I definitely feel like I've coped with a huge injury in the last year. I'm super slow right now and my body is just DIFFERENT. Way more muscley and toned AND way less speedy. I'm not sure how I feel about it overall...but its a testament to the fact that where there's a will there's a way. Despite the injuries (broken foot, achilles injury in my left leg...achilles injury in my right leg...), I've managed to stay fairly active the last year.
Anyway, getting my exercise grind back on has also meant lots of quicky meals. I've become OBSESSED with frozen riced cauliflower. Green Giant makes it for cheap-o, and Whole Foods sells organic frozen riced cauli for a pretty fair price. Sometimes, when I'm feeling motivated, I'll rice cauliflower myself and freeze it. That happens almost-never, but its a good idea for those of you with the motivation.
Riced cauliflower is sooo versatile. You can use it as a filler for meatloaf, use it as a rice substitute, or combine it with egg to make "crust" or "hashbrowns." Its just da bomb diggity, yo.
This recipe is me fighting my perpetual Chinese Food cravings. Ain't no dietitian out there who loves dumplings and pizza more than this one. Its a sad life...but someone's gotta cope with the cravings! And it helps you guys out since I have to come up with creative, healthy alternatives! Recipes comin' yo' way!
Cauli Fried Rice
Prep 5 minutes
Cooktime approximately 15 minutes
12 oz Green Giant Cauliflower Medley Riced Veggies
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
10 asparagus stalks, de-stemmed & cut in half
Coconut oil/Avocado Oil/High Heat Spray
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon tamari*/coconut aminos*/soy sauce
1" ginger, minced
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
3 eggs, preferably pastured/cage-free
Cooked Salmon Filet **
1. Heat oil/cooking spray over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cooking for a few minutes until translucent.
2. Add asparagus. Cook for three minutes.
3. Add cauliflower. The cauliflower may be frozen in large chunks. Increase the heat and break up the cauliflower using your spatula. This may take a few minutes. Once the cauliflower is broken a part and evenly distributed in the pan, reduce heat to medium.
4. Add garlic powder, fish sauce, sriracha, ginger, and tamari (or soy sauce/coconut aminos). Stir fry for two to three minutes.
5. Using your spatula, push the contents of the pan aside forming a hole in the middle. Crack your eggs and scramble**, slowly incorporating the cauliflower/veggies into the scramble untill well combined.
6. Remove from heat and serve!
*gluten free options
** I happened to have leftover cooked salmon in my fridge when I made this, so I added that to the stirfry too!! Totally optional!