Today I started lifting again after eight months of focusing mainly on running. I have to say that I am really excited to be lifting heavy and working on aesthetic goals instead of athletic goals. I feel so grateful that I am a person who loves exercise and finds joy switching it up and challenging my athleticism in different ways, and it felt freakin' phenomenal to get super sweaty while lifting this morning.
I didn't PR my half marathon, but in the process of aiming to PR the half marathon, I did PR my 15k, 4 mile, 10 mile and 10k. While those weren't races that I felt like my PR was particularly challenging to beat, it was an awesome journey. I ran my first (and second!) race ever in Central Park. I ran tons of hills and an incredibly challenging hilly course in Chapel Hill North Carolina with my bestie... and I learned that I will ALWAYS love running more than anything else in this world.
So... now its time to chase my other goal in this year of #peachesandPRs... to build a curvier body! I have an enormous amount of respect for my body. It is strong, it is energetic and it never fails to surprise me. After breaking my foot back in November 2016, I stil cannot believe that I can jump, run, and sprint on my foot without any pain. There are so many times I am jumping rope or sprinting around the track, where I am completely stunned that my foot is healed and strong and healthy!
This recipe is ALL about those NUTRIENT DENSE CARBS! Now that I'm pumpin' iron again (does anyone actually say that?) - It's important that I get back to my #realfoodmacros lifestyle with enough fiber rich carbs to fuel muscle growth. Plantains and lentils are the PERFECT way to get in some high quality carbs rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C and lots of other awesome phytochemicals that fight cancer, prevent belly fat and nurture our gut's enteric immune system!
Coconut oil, spray
1 cup cooked lentils
1/2 white onion
1 head garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon of olive oil (preferably chili infused)
1 cup sprouts
1 plantain, sliced thin
1 teaspoon grass fed butter
1. Heat a pan over medium heat. Spray with oil and stir fry onions until translucent and add garlic.
2. In a separate pan, heat a large pan over high heat. When hot, reduce heat to medium and add butter. Add plantain discs in one layer in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, combine lentils with the spices.
4. Add lentils to the heated pan and stirfry with the onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium low heat.
5. While lentils are cooking, flip your plantains to brown on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove plantains and lentils from heat. After killing the heat on the lentils, add olive oil to the lentils and stir.
7. Add the tortillas to the pan that previously had the plantains and cook for 1 minute per side to allow tortillas to brown.
8. Serve with 2 tortillas per person, splitting the lentils on the tortillas and topping with avocado and sprouts.