Its hard to believe its already the Fourth of July!!!! Summer always flies by, and it will be autumn before we know it.
And that's why its sooo important to live in the moment. Love yourself now. Don't wait until tomorrow to go on that beach vacay, rock this season's newest look, or sign up for that race. There's nothing stopping you from doing it again when you've achieved your goals.
I guess, what I'm trying to say, is that its okay to eat your dessert and live life too
Ummmm, but why am I bringing this up today?!?! WELL BECAUSE I'VE CREATED A THING OF BEAUTY! A healthy dessert - low in calories, high in protein and its freakin' red, white and blue to boot!!
Ya know how most peeps think Christmas or Thanksgiving are the best holidays??? Welllll homegirl thinks the best holiday involves the beach, hot weather and fireworks. AKA - The Fourth of July!
This year I'm skipping the Jersey Shore partay because the 4th is on a dang Wednesday...but I'm still excited to chill in a bikini on Brighton Beach & crash a rooftop party later that night in BK. Lots of fireworks, lots of splashing, and lots of this Red, White & Blue Berry Crumble make a real food RD veryyyy happy!!
Seriously. Its so delicious. Honestly, you could eat this for breakfast too... since its balanced and fairly high in protein, but I prefer to eat it as dessert in lieu of sugar laden cupcakes.
ANYWAY, back to original point of this post. Don't let how you "feel" about your body impact your plans this holiday season (or this summer!). Don't be afraid to go hiking, go swimming, whatever it is. Your body is your body right here, right now. Love it the way it is, and remember that having self-love will not hinder your ability to self-improve. No one is perfect. We should always be striving towards improvement, but it does not mean we should not love everything about today. <3
Including this drool worthy dessert.
Red White & Blue Berry Crumble
1 pint ricotta
1 cup oats
1/4 cup crushed pecans (or nut of choice)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 dash vanilla
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 cups blueberries
1 cup cherries (de-pitted), chopped roughly
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Oil for the pan
Optional: Additional honey for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F
2. In a small bowl mix oats, crushed pecans, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Mix well.
3. Oil a pie dish with butter or coconut oil. Add berries and balsamic vinegar. Mix well.
4. Top the berries with the oat mixture. Use a wooden spoon to flatten it as evenly as possible.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The oats should be brown when removed from the oven.
6. Before serving, mix 1/4 cup ricotta with 1 teaspoon honey and sprinkle with salt. Mix well and top a slice of berry crumble with a scoop of ricotta. If you're preparing enough ricotta for 8 servings, then simply combine 2 cups ricotta with 3 tablespoons of honey and mix well. Top with sea salt and scoop 1/4 cup on each slice of berry pie.